‘Shave your terrorist beard’ – Egyptian columnist to Premier League ace Salah

Egyptian columnist Salah Montaser has caused controversy by telling Liverpool and Egypt international footballer Mohamed Salah to shave his beard, because it makes him looks like a “terrorist.”

Montaser has caused a firestorm on social media after he criticised the forward in an article published on Sunday by state-run Al-Ahram. He commented that Salah’s beard “puts him in one basket with extremists and terrorists.”

Social media users were quick to condemn the journalist’s comments, insisting the player should be judged on his footballing talents, rather than his looks.

Mohamed Salah is currently the Premier League’s top scorer with 24 goals, tied with England and Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane. Salah was named African Footballer of the Year for 2017. 

He is a national hero in his native Egypt, which is struggling to combat an Islamic State-led insurgency. Last October, Salah scored the goals that secured World Cup qualification for the first time since 1990.

READ MORE: ‘Unable to forgive us for winning right to host World Cup’: Russia responds to UK boycott threats

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT Sport News

Agriculture makes much more money for Russia than arms exports – Putin

The recent boost in Russian agriculture has made food sales abroad much more profitable for the country than exports of military weapons, according to President Vladimir Putin.

“Today, agriculture exports exceed arms sales by more than a third. $ 28.8 billion from agricultural sector, $ 15.6 billion from the defense industry,” Putin told farmers in Krasnodar on Monday.

Read more

© Michael Klimentyev

He said that Russian exports of agricultural products and foodstuffs had grown 16-fold since 2000. In 2016, Russia became the world leader in wheat exports. Since the early 2000s, the country’s share of the world wheat market has quadrupled, from four to 16 percent.

Russia will soon sell more produce abroad than the country imports, according to the president.

“I am confident that Russia will become one of the leaders of the global agri-industrial market in the next few years. I told the Federal Assembly that in four years we plan to supply more food to the world markets than we import. That is, Russia will become a net exporter of food,” said Putin.

To achieve this goal, Russia plans to develop infrastructure, broaden the railway network, increase the capacity of seaports, elevators, and storage terminals, he added.

The president said that Russia should be aiming at exports of environmentally friendly and quality products. GMO has been banned in Russia since 2016. Putin previously said he wants to make Russia the world’s largest seller of GMO-free food.

For more stories on economy & finance visit RT’s business section

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT Business News

Muslim MPs sent ‘Punish a Muslim Day’ letters encouraging mosque bombings

Muslim MPs have been sent threatening letters which urge people to carry out acid attacks against Muslims, bomb mosques and pull off hijabs. The ‘Punish A Muslim Day’ letters are being investigated by counter-terrorism officers.

The MPs were also sent packages with a “suspicious substance” inside. Three people were hospitalized on Monday and Tuesday as a precaution before the items were deemed not to be hazardous.

Labour MP for Bedford Mohammad Yasin received a package on Monday. His colleagues, Labour MP for Bethnal Green & Bow Rushanara Ali and Labour MP for Ealing Central and Acton Rupa Huq, have both tweeted to say they received similar packages.

The letters advertise “Punish A Muslim Day,” which included a points system of Islamophobic actions and each of their “rewards.” The sickening point-scoring system ranges from 10 points if you “verbally abuse a Muslim” to 2,500 points if you “nuke Mecca.”

Other acts include 50 points for throwing acid in a Muslim person’s face, 100 points for beating up a Muslim, and 250 points for torturing a Muslim using electrocution, skinning or use of a rack. It offers 500 points for butchering a Muslim using a gun, knife or vehicle, and 1,000 points for bombing or burning a mosque.

The messages were also sent to households across London, Yorkshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire.

The sick letter says: “They have hurt you, they have made your loved ones suffer. They have caused you pain and heartache. What are you going to do about it? Are you a ‘sheep’ like the majority of the population?

“Sheep follow orders and are easily led, they are allowing the white majority nations of Europe and North America to become overrun by those who like nothing more than to do us harm and turn our democracies into Sharia-led police states.

“Only you can help turn this thing around, only you have the power. Do not be a sheep!”

READ MORE: Hate crimes targeting British mosques more than double in a year

Detective Chief Superintendent Martin Snowden, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North East, said the letter is being investigated. “These letters seek to cause fear and offence among our Muslim communities. They also seek to divide us,” he said.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT UK News

Lavrov has ‘no regular terms’ to describe US threat to attack Syrian troops

The US is trying to cover up its own failure to force armed groups in Syria to de-escalate violence as it blames Russia and Iran for ongoing hostilities in Eastern Ghouta, the Russian foreign minister has said.

Sergey Lavrov was referring to accusations voiced by US Representative at the UN Nikki Haley, who said the US may take military action in Syria in the same way it did last year in response to an alleged chemical-weapons attack in Khan Sheikhoun.

Read more

FILE PHOTO: The guided-missile destroyer USS Porter conducts strike operations while in the Mediterranean Sea © Ford Williams / U.S. Navy / AFP

“Our Western partners, who don’t hide the close contacts they have with [militant groups] in Eastern Ghouta, have failed in their commitment under the UNSC Resolution 2401, which was to influence their proteges, rein them in, and make them stop shelling residential areas [in Damascus]. Our Western colleagues led by the US have failed to do that,” the Russian minister said on Tuesday.

He added that the US is now proposing a new draft resolution, which would be limited to the situation in Eastern Ghouta. It would also protect UN-designated terrorists – like the group formerly known as Al-Nusra Front, which Russia says is playing the lead role in this area – and give the militants time to regroup.

The US accuses Damascus and its allies of using excessive force in Eastern Ghouta, a suburb of the capital that had been controlled by Islamist armed groups for several years. The militants have launched regular attacks on Damascus residential and governmental areas from this location. Moscow says its goal in Eastern Ghouta is to force the fighters to either lay down arms or leave the area, saying the outcome of a similar conflict in Aleppo could serve as a model.

Haley said attacking Syria was “not the path we prefer” and said the UN Security Council’s “failure to act” would be the cause, if Washington chooses to take military action.

“Ms Haley states that the US is a peaceful nation that can at any moment attack the forces of the Syrian government. I have no regular terms left to describe this,” said Lavrov. “A new [US] strike would have very serious consequences. Ms Haley should realize that abusing a microphone with irresponsible statements at the UN Security Council is one thing, but the communications between American and Russian militaries is another thing, which details what is allowed and what is not.”

The incident in Khan Sheikhoun remains uninvestigated, with the scene of the attack inaccessible to chemical weapons inspectors. The evidence used by the US to justify an attack on a Syrian airbase came from questionable sources, and may have been manufactured. The US military does not have proof that Damascus was responsible for the incident.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT World News

Russian hockey great Ovechkin makes history by entering NHL 600-goal club

Russian ice-hockey great and Washington Сapitals captain Alexander Ovechkin has reached yet another milestone in his sporting career by becoming the 20th player in the National Hockey League (NHL) to score 600 goals.

Going into Monday’s game against the Winnipeg Jets, Ovechkin was just two goals short of reaching six-century mark. The Caps captain duly scored a brace to successfully fill in the gap in his 990th regular-season game.

Ovechkin’s first was power-play goal in the opening period, and ‘Ovi’ added another to his tally in the second period by netting a rebound to finally enter the list of NHL top scorers.

Now it’s 600, honestly it’s a pretty amazing and cool feeling. But you know we still have time to work and we have to win the game,” Ovechkin said after the second period of the game.

My wife is here, she just came back from Moscow and she said ‘I have a feeling you gonna score 600 tonight and we gonna enjoy the time.’ So I’m very happy. My mom, my parents watched the game at home, and they are happy. So, all family happy that’s the most important thing.”

Ovechkin’s next target will now be to overtake Jari Kurri (601), Dino Ciccarelli (608) and Bobby Hull (610), who also managed to pass the 600-goal barrier while playing in the NHL.

The league’s all-time list is topped by the legendary Canadian Wayne Gretzky, who hammered in 894 goals during his NHL career. However, while Gretzky and Gordie Howe, who scored 801 NHL goals, played in a significantly higher-scoring era, Ovechkin has spent his entire NHL career in one of the lowest-scoring eras ever recorded in the league.

READ MORE: NHL star Ovechkin launches ‘Team Putin’ ahead of Russia’s presidential race

If he can sustain his pace, there’s no question in my mind that he has the ability and the talent and the work ethic to be able to do it. And if he does it, I’ll be the first guy there to shake his hand. If there is one guy out there that can do it, there’s no question it’s him. The first 500 are the easy ones,” Gretzky told NHL.com in 2016.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT Sport News

Ukraine uses Gazprom dispute in bid to scupper Nord Stream 2 pipeline

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has once again urged European policymakers to scrap plans for the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline, which would bypass Ukraine and deprive it of transit fees.

He told EU officials that the Russian energy monopoly Gazprom was an unreliable partner for Europe. According to Poroshenko, the European Union and Ukraine should boost cooperation to increase their energy security.

“Ukraine once again appealed to the European Commission, the EU member states, to abandon intentions to build the Nord Stream 2, as the project compromises the energy security of Ukraine and the EU,” he said at a joint briefing with the EU’s diplomatic chief, Federica Mogherini.

The appeal came after Gazprom canceled its supply-and-transit contracts with Ukraine’s state-run energy firm Naftogaz following a legal decision against the Russian company. Earlier, Stockholm Arbitration ordered Naftogaz to pay Gazprom $ 2 billion, while ordering the Russian company to compensate Naftogaz to the tune of $ 4.67 billion

The contract for the supply of natural gas from Russia to Ukraine, signed in early 2009, was set to expire by the end of 2019. Under the terms of the agreement, Ukraine was to buy 40 billion cubic meters of gas a year with the annual volume increasing to 52 billion cubic meters from 2010. However, Naftogaz opted to stop buying the contracted volume in November 2015, replacing it with reverse gas supplies from European countries. The step was seen as a breach of contract.

Kiev has repeatedly expressed concerns over Nord Stream 2 because the pipeline threatens to cut gas transit through Ukraine. The infrastructure will deliver gas directly to Germany under the Baltic Sea, and aims to double the existing pipeline’s capacity of 55 billion cubic meters per year.

For more stories on economy & finance visit RT’s business section

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT Business News

Generation Identity activist was ‘also member of banned Nazi terrorist group’

A member of anti-Islam group Generation Identity (GI) was part of far-right terrorist group National Action (NA), now banned in the UK, an advocacy group has exposed. Jacob Bewick, 27, was spotted at one of NA’s marches in 2016.

National Action was the first far-right group to be banned under counterterrorism laws by Home Secretary Amber Rudd amid claims it was a “racist, anti-Semitic and homophobic organization.” According to anti-racism campaigners Hope Not Hate, Sheffield-born Bewick had been a member of the group.

His Twitter account contains numerous neo-Nazi and pro-National Action posts. In a post from January 2017 on Twitter, he wrote: “Hitler Speaks About the Jews. The truth the world would be so much better if he world of won. It’s coming now tho [sic].”

READ MORE: Free speech or hate speech? Right-wing activists ‘banned’ from Britain (VIDEOS)

Bewick has now pledged support to the pan-European movement GI. The network, which shares traits with so-called alt-right, is not avowedly anti-Semitic. Although it has not directly endorsed white supremacy, it promotes the idea of ‘ethnic pluralism’. Members have also been linked with neo-Nazi movements in Hungry and Poland

GI has become increasingly active in the past few months. Over the weekend the group made headlines after three of its high-profile members were detained. UK border police arrested Martin Sellner, Brittany Pettibone and Lauren Southern as they attempted to reach London for a political event.

Their detention prompted GI members and sympathizers to demonstrate for free speech in London on Sunday. They were fiercely opposed by a group of anti-fascist opponents chanting “Nazis off our streets,” and who claimed there is a difference between hate speech and free speech, a distinction that is in UK law. 

Vinnie Sullivan of Veterans Against Terrorism says right-wing groups are having free speech denied to them.

“I don’t have a platform unless I create it myself. We have to sneak around and use underground means just to get our message out,” he told RT UK at the protest on Sunday. “In this country today it’s becoming a crime to be white, a crime to fly your own flag and a crime to have right-wing opinions.

“They [Antifa] turn up with their faces covered – we would be arrested for that. There is no free speech anymore – not even here.

READ MORE: Brits recruited by Ukrainian Neo-Nazi paramilitary organizations

National Action emerged from the far-right scene in 2013 and has been linked to planning terror plots. On its website, it boasted of targeting students and universities in the UK for members. Its website displayed anti-Semitic imagery and lengthy quotations by Adolf Hitler, and its motto was “For a Free White Britain.” It organized “Miss Hitler” beauty pageant competitions, ran “white’s only” food banks for Glasgow’s homeless, and handed out “white zone” flyers.

National Action was banned in December 2016. However, it is understood the group continues to change its name to evade authorities.

If you like this story, share it with a friend!

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT UK News

Hillary Clinton slips twice on stone steps during India visit (VIDEO)

Former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton slipped twice while visiting India this week. Clinton was seen losing her footing as she made her way down stone steps assisted by two aides.

The former secretary of state’s stumbles were caught on video on Monday. Clinton was seen slipping as she made her way down an ancient set of steps at the Jahaz Mahal palace in Mandu.

Clinton was linking arms with a man on one side as she stumbled the first time. Another man quickly went to her aid, holding onto Clinton as she continued down the steps before she slipped again seconds later. She then took off her sandals and continued down the steps without further incident.

Clinton’s health became a source of speculation during the 2016 campaign after she was filmed appearing to collapse while getting into a car at a 9/11 memorial event in Manhattan. The footage caused some to question her ability to continue campaigning, while others claimed its release was intended to undermine her candidacy.

Clinton suffered concussion and developed a blood clot in her brain in 2013 when she fell in her home. Doctors said the incident did not cause any strokes or neurological damage. However, that injury has fuelled speculation that the effects of the fall continue to affect her health.  

If you like this story, share it with a friend!

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT US News

False flag: Canada lays out German tricolor for Belgian royals at WWI event

Canadian officials were left red-faced after accidentally using a German flag to greet the king and queen of Belgium, who were visiting the country to pay thanks to Canadian troops for their involvement in World War I.

The offending flag was paired with the Canadian emblem and tied to a tree on the grounds of Rideau Hall in Ottawa, the residence of the governor general of Canada. Belgium’s King Philippe and Queen Mathilde were at the historic house to meet Governor General Julie Payette, who is Queen Elizabeth II’s representative in Canada.

Both flags are black, red and yellow, however the German tricolor has horizontal stripes while the Belgian is vertical. Belgian journalist Wim Dehandschutter noticed the faux pas attached to a tree that was planted by Belgian Queen Fabiola on a visit in 1977. A spokesperson for Payette said the mistake was rectified before the king and queen arrived.

READ MORE: Canadians question Trudeau’s eco-leadership as thousands march against pipeline (PHOTOS)

“While we were preparing for the tree-planting ceremony on the grounds of Rideau Hall, it was brought to our attention that there was a mix up with a small flag that was used to help identify the tree planted by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977,” Marie-Eve Letourneau told to Canadian outlet Global News.

It is the first state visit from Belgium to Canada in 40 years and one of the main items on the royal agenda is to thank Canada for its involvement in the liberation of Belgium during the World War I. “We owe our freedom to the military men who came to our country 100 years ago to end the First World War,” King Philippe said as he was greeted by Payette.

Like this story? Share it with a friend!

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT World News

Page 934 of 1596
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons