Trump to allow release of classified JFK assassination files

US President Donald Trump says he will allow the release of classified documents relating to the assassination of President John F Kennedy, shot dead while visiting Dallas, Texas in 1963.

READ MORE: JFK, CIA, Mafia and Fidel Castro – Trump can finally allow the truth to emerge from the shadows

The documents were due to be disclosed by the National Archives later this month, however there were some media reports that Trump would not approve the publication of all of the files.

In a tweet sent early Saturday, Trump indicated he will allow the release, “subject to the receipt of further information”. It’s not clear what “further information” the president is referring to.

In 1992, then-US President George H. W. Bush signed into law the John F Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act, compelling the US National Archives to publish documents surrounding Kennedy’s death within 25 years.

However, there was a get-out clause in the act which stated public disclosure could be delayed if it threatened “military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or conduct of foreign relations.”

A report by Politico Magazine, which cited Trump administration insiders, suggested the president could block some documents from seeing the light of day. A US government spokesperson reportedly told the magazine that the White House is working “to ensure the maximum amount of data can be released to the public”.

READ MORE: Ted Cruz: My Twitter account ‘liked’ porn video due to ‘staffing issue’

During the presidential election campaign last year, Trump alleged that the father of rival Republican candidate Ted Cruz had links to Kennedy’s supposed killer Lee Harvey Oswald. The accusation stemmed from an image printed on the front of the National Inquirer, which purported to show Rafael Cruz handing out pro-Cuba fliers alongside Oswald in 1963.

“His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald’s being, you know, shot,” Trump alleged on Fox News. “Nobody even brings it up. They don’t even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it.”

Trump doubled down on the conspiracy in July 2016, saying that Cruz never denied his father met Oswald. Ted Cruz addressed the topic in May that year by saying that his father was also “secretly Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa is buried in his backyard.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT America

‘Burqa ban’: Vienna police descend on Lego store over face-covered Red Ninja

Officers flocked to a Lego store in Vienna responding to a report of a violation of the law forbidding full face veils. Over the past days, it also had police approaching a man in a shark suit and the Austrian parliament’s mascot.

The incident in the Austrian capital happened on Friday after law enforcement received an anonymous complaint that the law in question had been violated in the store. The officers responded to the call, only to find out that the apparent “criminal” was a woman dressed in a costume of a Red Ninja. She was not issued a fine, though; police said they established she concealed her face as part of her “professional occupation.”

The incident – the like of which risks becoming a commonplace in Austria – came after the country’s parliament backed a law banning people from covering their faces in public.

The law was part of a wider legislation – approved earlier in May – that enables compulsory integration of foreigners and encourages immigrants to engage in unpaid public work before getting a work permit. The so-called “burqa ban” – although not described as such in the legislation – had already led to a chain of bizarre incidents that left many in Austria scratching their heads.

Read more

Women in Burkas, Vienna, Austria. © Education Images / Getty Images

Earlier in October, the Austrian parliament’s official mascot Lesko drew officers’ attention. A man wearing the rabbit suit was prevented from posing for children shooting videos during an open-door event ahead of Austria’s Independence Day, Kurier reported

Another ludicrous encounter occurred in Vienna when a promoter dressed as a shark to advertise a new McShark electronics store was fined €150 ($ 176) after he refused to take off his shark head, Deutsche Welle reported. 

Interestingly, police have argued against the law themselves. “It is unenforceable. The law was not written as a burqa ban for constitutional reasons and now this rubbish is unfolding,” Hermann Greylinger, the head of the Austrian police union, told OE24 TV channel. 

Those on the other side of the debate resorted to some offbeat tactics, too. In September, Rachid Nekkaz, a French-Algerian businessman, reached out to Austrian Muslim women, promising all burka-related fines will be on him. 

“I am reaching out to all women in Europe and especially to women in Austria who voluntarily wear the burqa, I will always be there and pay the fines,” Nekkaz, a French property dealer and a millionaire, who says he is not personally a “face veil advocate,” told Austrian Servus TV in an interview seen by Reuters.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT News

US school in hot water after history lesson pic showed black girl on leashes

Massachusetts elementary school officials are in hot water after a classroom photo from a history lesson showed a smiling teacher and two white students holding their black classmate with “leading strings.”

The notorious photo was taken during a lesson about the Pilgrims, early European settlers in Plymouth, Massachusetts, for third graders in Mitchell Elementary School in Bridgewater town earlier in October, local media reported.  

The class was led by the Plimoth Plantation Association which offers “personal encounters with history built on thorough research” about Colonial English community in the 1600s,” according to the information on the group’s website. 

The girl, who is reportedly 8 years old, is pictured with “lead strings” which were used in the 17th century to support children learning to walk. She apparently volunteered to take part in the installation.  

Parents in Mitchell Elementary School were shocked when they’ve learnt about such a “history” lesson.

“If you look at that picture out of context, what are you going to think? It’s clearly what it looks like, it’s disgusting,” one parent told CBS Boston.  

“It seems like enslavement of a person. Even the color of the child has nothing to do with it,” another parent, identified as Andrea St. Clare, added.

Bridgewater-Raynham Regional School District apologized for the ‘slavery’ photo in a statement on Facebook on Thursday evening.  

“We realize without this context added to the photo that was shared by the classroom teacher it could be perceived differently. Please note it was never the intent of the lesson to demean or degrade any one person or group,” Superintendent of Schools Derek Swenson wrote, adding that the local authorities stared an “inquiry into the complaint.”

A portion of the lesson “focused on 17th century attire — particularly the garments worn by parents, children, toddlers and infants,” Swenson cited the Director of Education from Plimoth Plantation as saying.

“Specifically the garment worn by toddlers commonly used tethering straps to assist them when learning to walk,” Swenson added.

The photo was immediately dubbed “racist” and “distressing”, with people wondering why a black child should wear these leashes at the lesson.

The criticism fell mostly on the smiling teacher. Some people said that she should be fired immediately.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT America

Spanish PM: Powers of Catalan administration will be transferred to central government

Spanish government will administer Catalonia directly from Madrid, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said at a press conference. He added that Madrid wants to curb the powers of the Catalan parliament.

Rajoy declared on Saturday that the government wants to dissolve the Catalan parliament and call a snap election to restore order in the region.

He said Madrid is not revoking Catalonia’s autonomy but merely removing local leaders whose actions were against the law.

Rajoy said the government was seeking unprecedented constitutional authority to ”restore order” in Catalonia.

The government did not initially want or intend to rule Catalonia directly, according to Rajoy, but took this unprecedented step to ensure that public services and the economy remain functional.

The snap election will take place in six months, the Prime Minister said. The measures taken by Madrid are expected to be approved now by Spain’s Upper House (the Senate) on October 27.

Rajoy requested the Senate authorize him to dissolve the Catalan government. Central government ministers will assume the powers of Catalonia’s officials, Rajoy said.

His cabinet has invoked Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution which allows Madrid to intervene and impose direct rule when one of Spain’s seventeen autonomies does not abide by the law.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT News

‘Mentally unstable, armed with nukes’: US billionaire looks to impeach Trump

A US billionaire has launched a campaign, calling for the impeachment of “mentally unstable” President Donald Trump, who has brought America “to the brink of nuclear war.”

Tom Steyer, an American billionaire and self-identified environmentalist addressed the public in a video released on Thursday. “He [Donald Trump] has brought us to the brink of nuclear war,” the tycoon said. 

Steyer lambasted the current administration of the US leader as well as Congress, saying people there know that Trump “is a clear and present danger, who’s mentally unstable and armed with nuclear weapons, and they do nothing.”

“If that isn’t a case for impeaching and removing a dangerous president, then what has our government become?” he asks. The billionaire explained that he is funding the effort “to demand that elected officials take a stand” on impeaching Trump. 

In an open letter, Steyer goes on to say that Trump is simply lacking “fitness for office,” and notes that the question of impeachment thus “becomes a very real issue.”

READ MORE: US porn king offers $ 10mn for ‘smoking gun’ to impeach Trump

Steyer is the founder of Farallon Capital investment firm and NextGen America environmental political action committee which opposes the controversial Keystone XL pipeline. 

Earlier in October ‘porn king’ Larry Flynt offered a hefty sum of up to $ 10 million for any information that would help to remove Donald Trump, whom he called “a moron” from the White House.

“Larry Flynt and Hustler magazine announce a cash offer of up to $ 10 million for information leading to the impeachment and removal from office of Donald J. Trump,” an advertisement from the founder of the Hustler pornographic magazine said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT America

Rampaging wild boar sent to hog heaven after invading German bank (VIDEO)

Four people have been injured after a wild boar managed to find its way into a German bank. The wayward pig entered a Sparkasse in the town of Heide on Friday, before it was shot dead by a marksman.

READ MORE: Sweden’s wild boars have ‘extremely high’ radiation levels 31 years after Chernobyl

The animal was one of two boars that prompted an emergency response in the Schleswig-Holstein town on Friday morning, with police warning residents that two “aggressive” wild hogs were marauding through the streets.

CCTV footage reveals how one of the wild boars entered through the double doors of a downtown Sparkasse bank, before chasing employees inside.

The 70 kilogram boar was eventually corralled between the entrance of the bank and two cop cars and gunned down. The second boar escaped to the outskirts of town.

According to the Holstein police, four people sustained injuries and “substantial damage” was done to the interior of the bank. One man is believed to have lost the tip of a finger during the bizarre incident.

“The boar ran to a bank and attacked a passerby on [its] way there,” a police statement read. “In the rooms of the saving banks, an employee suffered considerable injuries due to an attack. A total of four adults were taken to the Heider hospital.”

Grisly images from the scene reveal that the rampaging boar was taken down by a rifle fitted with a telescopic sight.

Local mayor Ulf Stecher said a “prudent” decision was made to shoot the boar “without risk to others.”

“The situation was really dangerous. In fact, it is inconceivable that four people have been injured in this way. I hope that all four will be better soon.”

“The police, rescue and fire brigade forces have also done a very good job,” he added.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT News

What lies beneath: 'Monster' plankton discovered in Arctic ice (PHOTO)

A new species that has been dubbed a hidden ‘monster’ of the plankton world has been found lurking under Arctic sea ice in Canada.

The fortuitous discovery of the eight-legged creature – which freakishly only has one eye, no mouth and two hairy antennae – was made by a University of Manitoba student in 2014.

READ MORE: Jellyfish invasions caused by human construction at sea – study

Aurelie Delaforge was working at an ice camp in the wilds of Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, to study plankton blooms when the zooplankton emerged in ocean ice samples. With the bizarre creature turning up in ice on a number of occasions, Delaforge thought it likely that the species was local to the area.

Delaforge sent a message to Department of Fisheries and Oceans researcher Wojciech Walkusz, informing him: “I have this alien.”

Details of the new species of ‘monstrilloid copepod’ have now been published in the peer-reviewed ZooKeys journal. The creature joins six similar polar latitude ‘monster’ plankton species in science ledgers.

However, the creature has some anatomical differences to other tiny plankton. For example, it has a reduced fifth leg armed with sensory setae bristles.

The minute monster is not quite on the same level of horror as the fictional parasitic creature in the movie ‘The Thing’. But it is the first of its kind to be documented around Canada, leading researchers to ponder what other secrets are still hidden under Arctic ice.  

READ MORE: Siberian volcanoes triggered Earth’s most devastating extinction event – study

“When we study the Arctic, there are still things we don’t know. This is a good example,” Delaforge told UM Today News.

“I find this pretty cool. It’s not an everyday thing, discovering new species and it feels incredible. I wasn’t looking to find a new species for my PhD, but for me personally, who loves taxonomy, I think this is really important because it brings new information on the biodiversity present in the Arctic,” she said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT News

Several injured in central Munich knife attack, suspect on the run – police

An unidentified knifeman has attacked and wounded several people in downtown Munich, local police reported, adding that the perpetrator is still at large.

Local law enforcement told residents not to leave their homes. The suspect has been described as a man in his 40s. There has been no mention of any motive for the assault so far. The suspect is also carrying a backpack, according to a police tweet.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT News

California court overturns $417mn verdict linking J&J baby powder with cancer

A California court has overturned a verdict in a lawsuit against pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson (J&J) brought by a woman who blamed her ovarian cancer on the company’s talcum powder. She had been awarded a record $ 417 million in August.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Maren Nelson decided on Friday that the previous ruling ordering J&J to pay Eva Echeverria $ 417 million was riddled with errors.

Both parties failed to provide compelling evidence at the trial, the judge announced, adding that jury misconduct had been recorded during the trial. On these grounds, the court granted J&J’s request for a new trial.

Read more

© Mike Segar

Echeverria alleged that the New Jersey-based company failed to properly inform consumers of health risks posed by the firm’s famous baby powder when used for feminine hygiene. The plaintiff, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2007, was a regular user of the powder between 1950 and the 2000s.

Echeverria’s lawsuit said that she developed the cancer as a “proximate result of the unreasonably dangerous and defective nature of talcum powder.”

Responding to the court’s decision to throw out the verdict, Echeverria’s lawyer Mark Robinson said that he would appeal the ruling even though Echeverria has now died.

“We will continue to fight on behalf of all women who have been impacted by this dangerous product,” Robinson said.

J&J said it was satisfied with court’s decision in a statement on Friday.

“Ovarian cancer is a devastating disease but it is not caused by the cosmetic-grade talc we have used in Johnson’s Baby Powder for decades,” the company’s spokeswoman Carol Goodrich said, as cited by AP.

READ MORE: Johnson & Johnson wins appeal in $ 72mn talc cancer risk verdict

The pharmaceutical giant has been hit with a number of lawsuits, with some of the cases still pending. Some of the lawsuits were tossed out. On Tuesday the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Eastern District overturned a judgment against J&J in favor of the family of Alabama resident Jacqueline Fox. The family had claimed that Fox’s death from ovarian cancer stemmed from her use of the company’s talc-based products.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT America

Astronaut completes essential ISS repairs despite worn-out tether & faulty jetpack

A NASA astronaut had to battle with faulty life-saving gear before he could replace a blurry camera essential for docking cargo spaceships to the International Space Station (ISS) in a more than six-hour spacewalk.

Read more

 © NASA Johnson

Shortly after flight engineer Joe Acaba and expedition commander Randy Bresnik embarked on an array of maintenance tasks Friday, Acaba noticed that one of the two steel lifelines attaching him to the space station had “wear and tear.”

Bresnik had to come back to fetch a new tether so Acaba could continue working on replacement of a camera on the hand of a robot used to seize hold of the spacecraft for docking.

The camera, installed previously, was sending murky images back to Earth and had to be replaced with a new high-definition one so next month’s scheduled supply ship docking can go along without any glitches.

“Crisp, new space views!” NASA, which broadcast the ordeal live, wrote on Twitter, accompanying the message with footage of first few seconds of new camera working.

However, Acaba’s troubles for the day didn’t stop at that.

Towards the end of the spacewalk, Acaba suffered another malfunction, this time, with his jetpack. The device is worn like a backpack and is designed to propel an astronaut back to the station in case he or she happens to drift off. Dubbed SAFER, or Simplified Aid For EVA Rescue, it can be directed only by hand controllers attached to the space suit.

Read more

© Getty Images

Flight controllers at NASA’s Johnson Space Center observed that one of the handles of Acaba’s jetpack was open. Bresnik volunteered to help his crewmate fix the handle with tape, but NASA declared the jetpack unreliable and ordered Acaba to go back inside after he was done with his current task, which was to lubricate the stations new robot arm.

After his seven-hour spacewalk, Bresnik said that while the operation did not run smoothly “with all the stuff that happened today and the challenges we had,” it still was a success.

NASA said that the duo managed to complete all of the tasks planned for the spacewalk, which is set to become the last for them this year.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

RT News

Page 807 of 849
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons